Picture of Can you describe a typical day in your role?

Can you describe a typical day in your role?

Picture of Simon
1 response
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Anonymous asked a question to Simon I.

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Last reviewed: Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Picture of Simon I.

Simon I.

Facilities Project Manager

Hi, apologies for the delay in responding. Tough one to answer as no 2 days are the same, one of the reasons why I enjoy what we do in the Premises function. Generally my day will consist of about 5 meetings on average, earmarked time for project updates, completing actions or forthcoming preparations for a key activity, project planning and forecasting. Nearly all of this typical day is dedicated to looking ahead but there is a good dose of day to day operational stuff in there and there will be at least one catch up to do with systems administration or detailed planning and preparation for a significant change or outage most days. Much of my typical day involves catching up or updating stakeholders or colleagues within the FM world as well as working with my team to help provide priority and direction as required. Sometimes through this will come urgent operational requirements or technical incidents. Such moments will invariably require everything else to be put on hold, so a rapid and dynamic response can be made to the evolving situation and normal operations restored as soon as possible. Thankfully this doesn't happen that often and good training and preparation as a team with a hefty dose of experience helps resolve these situations quickly, whatever their nature. We try and use office tools as much as possible, to cut back on the number of meetings required to update colleagues and management by keeping one source of information always up to date on a daily basis. So if urgent or the latest updates are needed, they can just dip in and check up on the item(s) in question. We are currently trying to make the Tasks App within Teams do this for us. The short answer to what is a typical day in my role? - working with and managing people at all levels in as many different ways as possible, to keep things on track or to plan.

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Did you find this discussion helpful?