Picture of Having come from a professional services background, how could I successfully integrate within the finance team?

Having come from a professional services background, how could I successfully integrate within the finance team?

Picture of Josh
7 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Manraj S. asked during the live chat Meet Phoenix Finance to Phoenix Group

Category: Application Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Last reviewed: Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Picture of Josh R.

Josh R.

Senior Accountant

Hi Manraj, thanks for joining today. So we have many new joiners to the business from a professional services background and one of the key tips to support integration is to spend your early time at the business learning from those with the specific industry and knowledge. The insurance industry can be fairly complex to understand right away but the professional services industry gives you a solid foundation of understanding with which to build on top of. The key is proactivity in the learning phase and to be open and honest about the things you need more support to understand. Most people do not come directly from an insurance background and we therefore have many materials for learning and training available to support.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Manraj S.

Perfect! Thanks for your reply Josh. I completed a placement year at PwC and I am now working at Deloitte in the Audit service line. In addition, I completed an internship within the Prod Admin team at the Phoenix Group last year. I did enjoy my team and I was able to embed the values and the culture of the organisation and integrate them in my working style. Thus, I am looking to return in a more Finance role aspect. Do you know if there are any roles available as of now? And if so, how would you recommend myself being successful in the application process?

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Picture of Josh R.

Josh R.

Senior Accountant

So your best bet is to look at the careers site and filter for either analyst or accountant roles to find positions. My advice for being successful in application is to prepare well for your interview which is primarily competency based. You will have experienced similar with PWC and Deloitte. Drawing in your specific experience at Phoenix would also be a great place to start as familiarity with our processes, tools, teams means you have a good footing to start adding value sooner than later. Therefore highlighting your previous experience in our industry would be a key thing to do.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Manraj S.

Wonderful, thank you very much for your advice and I will be keen to keep an eye out for any future roles. I appreciate your time today and I will be sure to take these tips on board. I hope you have an amazing day!

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Picture of Josh R.

Josh R.

Senior Accountant

You're very welcome Manraj, best wishes and good luck.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Matt B.

Hi Manraj, best place to spot any new roles in Finance will be our careers site: https://www.thephoenixgroup.com/careers/ . In terms of being successful at application stage, keep an eye out for roles you think you'd be a good fit for (you dont need to meet every requirement to be a great candidate!) and make sure you tailor your CV to the job advert. If the advert asks for experience or skills you know you have but arent mentioned/demonstrated on your CV, make sure you include them.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Manraj S.

Thanks Matt - I appreciate this, have a wonderful day!

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?