Picture of On my transition path to data analyst career, what skills I should have for the role of data analyst to be successful

On my transition path to data analyst career, what skills I should have for the role of data analyst to be successful

Picture of Josh
4 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Genadijs S. asked during the live chat Meet Phoenix Finance to Phoenix Group

Category: Career choices

Date asked: Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Last reviewed: Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Picture of Josh R.

Josh R.

Senior Accountant

Hi Genadijs, I can't speak to the specific role of data analyst but if i could maybe offer my advice based on similar analyst roles we have in finance. The key skills we look for are an affinity with large data sets and an ability to make them make sense to a wider audience. I.e can you present that data in a meaningful way that can be absorbed quickly by key stakeholders and also evidence that the data is complete and accurate. We use a wide range of tools at Phoenix across a number of teams. Being agile to change and requirements is a skill we covet alongside an analysts ability to work in a proactive manner. The best performing analysts are often looking for the next thing to get involved in, anticipating ways to add value and creating solutions to save time and improve financial control

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Genadijs S.

Can you recommend any data analysis tools if I decided to apply for a finance analyst role in your company?

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Picture of Josh R.

Josh R.

Senior Accountant

So some of the key tools we use currently in finance. Excel obviously, Power BI, Oracle BI, smartview/essbase

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Genadijs S.

The answer is very valuable. Thank you!

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?